Research Campus-Based and Online Psychology Degrees in Wyoming
Nestled within Wyoming, there are 7 accredited universities for future psychology students to choose from. There are currently only 250 clinical psychologists working throughout the state, which projects the need for more in this field.
If you are ready and willing to begin your path to a career as a psychologist in Wyoming, our team recommends that you begin by enrolling into Bachelor's in Psychology programs. You may notice Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science opportunities available within your state - either being great options at the entry level. Some students may also participate in Master's in Psychology programs in an effort to reduce the amount of time it takes to complete their doctoral degree program. Some doctoral programs accept learners holding only a bachelor's level degree in the field.
Consider a Featured Online Psychology Program That Is Accepting Applicants
University of West Alabama
|Bachelor||Online Bachelor of Psychology||Website|
George Mason University
|Master||Online MS in Applied I/O Psychology||Website|
|Bachelor||Online BA in Psychology||Website|
University of West Alabama
|Master||Online MS in Experimental Psychology / Clinical Psychology||Website|
|Master||Masters in Behavior Analysis||Website|
Overview of a Few Campus and Online Psychology Degrees
The University of Wyoming: Online Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Pursuing a career in the field of Psychology in Wyoming can include participation in undergraduate and graduate degree programs. You can maximize your time and efforts through engagement in online degree options offered by popular universities like the University of Wyoming.
This university currently provides a flexible option to learners that are seeking distance education opportunities in the field of Psychology. This program includes a full, 120 credit hour curriculum that can be completed from any location with an internet connection.
During this program, you can participate in around 33 credit hours of Psychology-based courses during your experience, which can enlighten you to development, assessments, and sub-fields related to practice in this field. Most learners complete this program within 4 years after enrollment.
This program and many others can provide you with the foundation of knowledge you need to complete master's and doctoral programs in the future. Your journey to licensing as a psychologist can essentially begin through participation in Bachelor's in Psychology programs in the online environment.
The University of Wyoming's Other Psychology Programs
The University of Wyoming in Laramie is one of the most popular schools in the entire state. This college offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in psychology. The curriculum is designed to promote success in students while working in different psychological careers throughout the state. Students can expect to take courses such as Biological, Social, and Developmental Psychology. These courses are relevant to most aspects of psychology and include some of the most important information that learners need to know prior to working in the field. The applicable courses contribute to how effective learner's will be once working in a field of psychology. Regardless of which path is taken, there is a degree program that will exhibit the expertise of the learner and provide for a stable foundation for a successful future in psychological careers.
Steps to Become a Psychologist in Wyoming
- The doctoral program that you choose for your journey can greatly affect your ability to become licensed in the future. Your state requires that you complete a Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Psychology that holds accreditation from the American Psychological Association (APA) to be considered for licensing. These programs consist of around 4 years of intensive study and practice, all of which is thoroughly reviewed and approved by the APA. The first portion of your supervised experience also takes place during your doctoral degree program.
- Your state also outlines specific expectations for supervised experience in the field of Psychology. Beginning during your degree program, you may participate in clinical observations which lead to hands on training with licensed professionals in the field. Once graduated, you may be required to choose a field placement for the remaining year of your experience.
- Following your experience component, your state may authorize you to move forward to board testing for incoming psychologist. The Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) consists of concepts related to psychological development, clinical assessment, practice, and ethics related to work in your field. You are required to pass with a minimum score before your board will approve you for licensing in your state. You may also need to participate in a state law examination or oral examination as a final step on your path.
- Completing all of the outlined experience and education requirements can take care of the bulk of your expectations for licensing in Wyoming. However, you must also provide evidence of these accomplishments to your state board through the official application process. At this time, you should ensure that your transcripts are sent in directly from the university, all documents pertaining to your supervision are accurate, and all fees are paid as required by your state. Once received and processed, you may be approved as a psychologist in your state.
Psychology Scholarships in Wyoming
When you are prepared and ready to begin the educational path to a career in this field, you should be aware of the financial support offered to students in Psychology-based degree programs. You can begin with filing of your annual FAFSA to determine eligibility for grants and loans at each degree level.
Scholarship opportunities can be a great way to receive free funds towards the cost of your program, housing, travel, or internships. Organizations like the American Psychological Association and the Association for Psychological Science are regular providers of scholarships for learners in this field.
Scholarships such as the Foundation for Rehabilitation Psychology Dissertation Award may be awarded to learners at the doctoral level that are contributing specifically to the field of Rehabilitation Psychology. Similar awards may be offered to learners in different types of specialized fields based on availability.
Alternatively, awards such as the Jessica Lynn Herman Memorial Scholarship can provide funds to students at multiple degree levels through an application process each year. You are encouraged to further explore what is available for Psychology learners during each of your degree programs.☰ Search Online Psychology Programs
Psychology Degrees in Wyoming
Consider a Featured Online Psychology Related Program
Wyoming Psychology Licensing
- Becoming a psychologist in Wyoming includes close attention to detail regarding the licensing requirements of your state. The very first towards being approved for licensing involves direct enrollment into an APA-accredited Doctoral program in Psychology. This is the minimum degree requirement for licensing and includes all of the required components for future practicing professionals in your field. The course work that you participate in during this program has been strategically organized to provide you with the best possible learning experience for future practice.
- The supervision requirements for licensing begin during your Ph.D. or Psy.D. program in Psychology. You should receive around 1,500 hours of field training during your program, through internships and field placements during different semesters. At the beginning, you may shadow psychologists and observe clinical work as it happens in the field. Towards the end of your program, you may have the opportunity to conduct assessments and provide more hands-on treatment to actual clients in the field. This part of the experience requirement includes around 1 year of experience in the field.
- Your state also requires that you engage in more supervised work experience after graduating from your degree program. The remaining 1,500 of the 3,000 supervised hours should be gained during a postdoctoral field placement in your area. You should choose a placement that is related to the type of specialization you are pursuing or the type of population that you plan to serve once in the field. You can expect to spend an additional year completing this half of your supervision element.
- The next step in the licensing process is to submit your application for licensing to the Wyoming Board of Psychology. Your application should include payment of a $275 fee, official transcripts for all attended universities, and experience verification forms from both experiences. Your state may take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to review the information you have sent before making a decision on whether you are permitted to move forward to the final stages of licensing. Once notified, you may be authorized to move forward with national board testing.
- Students that have completed all educational and experience-related steps in this process may be left with only 1 last mountain to climb for licensing. The Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) is the national test required for all incoming psychologists pursuing a professional license. This tests may include concepts that you have learned during each phase of your education and experience, and helps to ensure that all prospects are knowledgeable of the treatment process and ethical expectations. When you have received a passing score, you may be eligible for licensing in Wyoming.
- If you want to maintain your license over time, you should comply with what Wyoming requires from licensed psychologists each year. The renewal cycle for licensed psychologists is currently 1 year, during which you should complete at least 30 continuing education credits accredited by the APA. When your expiration date is approaching, you may be required to fill out a renewal application and submit a $200 fee to your state board.
Outlook for Psychology Careers
Wyoming, although having fewer residents, is a profitable place to work for psychology professionals. The population is represented by only a small number of clinical psychologists. There are job opportunities available at every level of education for psychology graduates. Those seeking only an undergraduate degree should have no problem obtaining jobs working directly with the public at a wide variety of different business. The psychology field is so versatile that it can apply to different fields throughout the country.
As mentioned, the state of Wyoming requires that psychologists become licensed before diagnosing or treating mental illnesses, so it is important for these prospects to get a degree from an accredited university and pass the state board exam in psychology. Once these steps are completed and work experience is documented, the candidate is eligible for licensure. These steps can lead to a profitable career in a field that only grows throughout time.
Alternatives to Wyoming Psychology Schools
Students who live far from campus can obtain a psychology degree online. Online education provides flexible schedules, the ability to do coursework from anywhere, and quality programs. Pursuing an online psychology degree is a good option for many future psychiatric professionals.☰ Search Online Psychology Programs
List of Online Psychology Degrees
All Psychology Programs
- Psychology, A.S.
- Associate of Arts in Psychology
- Associate of Science/Associate of Arts in Psychology
- Psychology, A.A.
- Social Science - Psychology AS
- Clinical Psychology Graduate Program
- Psychology Emphasis AA Degree